Today I am 25 weeks and 6 days pregnant with Tobin. I gave birth to Koen at 26 weeks 6 days. This morning they woke me up at 6am, like they do every morning, to hook me up to the monitor. Sometimes it takes them a while to find the perfect spot to hear his heartbeat, but in that search we can faintly hear that sweet sound. This morning, there was nothing. I tried to relax and the nurse kept searching. I had to roll to my side to see if that would be better. Nothing. This is the same thing that happened with Koen, our first indicator of a problem. Tears. The nurse left to go get a doppler and returned with a doctor. The doctor was able to quickly locate Tobin's strong heartbeat. We horrifying way to start my day. I think he must have still been sleeping and was curled up in a corner. Tobin did great this afternoon and avoided scaring mommy.
The nurses keep telling me what awesome 'accelerations' Tobin's heartbeat has for his gestation. It means that his heart rate rises for a brief period and than returns to normal. They look for that and want that. One nurse told me that one of the doctors even remarked at how great it looked. I don't really know how that would translate if he were born early, I don't want to ask, and have given myself a no-google rule. But it gives me comfort that my boy is strong.
Koen was 2lbs 13oz and I imagine that Tobin is quickly approaching that same weight. He is getting bigger, stronger. At 24 weeks his survival rate was only 50%, at 26 weeks that goes up to 70%. These two weeks in this same hospital room without my family have been hard, but I am thankful for every day. They have told me for every day he stays put, it saves him three days in the NICU. My two weeks have saved him six. Praise God!
My doctor seems very encouraged that there has been no change with my body (no contractions or any other indicators). I also get the impression that holding on to him for two weeks is a good sign. My cervix will be examined tomorrow and we pray that it has not changed. If that occurs I will be sleeping in a hospital bed in my living room tomorrow night! My doctor told me yesterday that was free to go upstairs to shower and said that he would not be considering sending me home if he didn't think my cervix could handle it. His confidence gives me hope that Tobin can continue to stay right where he is at and mom can fight most of this battle for him. That is my hope and prayer.